Unless you’re a car enthusiast, you probably don’t think about your car much as long as it has gasoline and it looks decent. However, in order for your car to continually run well, there are things that have to be done on a regular basis such as oil changes and tune-ups. And, again, unless you are a real car enthusiast, knowing where to take your car in the Clearwater, Fl. area for an oil change or auto tune-ups is important.
Having a complete tune-up involves a fairly thorough inspection of your car. Here is a quick breakdown of everything that should be done during auto tune-ups:
- Fluid levels checked and topped off. This includes oil, radiator, transmission, power steering and brake fluids. It is also a great time to check your windshield washing fluid level as well.
- If it has been 3,000 miles or more since you had your oil changed, now is a good time to do that as well.
- Check and replace the air filter if necessary. Clogged air filters make your engine work harder and causes it to use more gasoline.
- Check tire wear. If the tire is wearing unevenly, this could be a sign of a worn wheel bearing, misaligned tires or unbalanced tires. Also, tires with badly worn tread should be replaced.
- Have the belts checked. Cracked and fraying serpentine or fan belts may fail causing engine damage.
Take a look in your owner’s manual and see what other scheduled maintenance may be required. Your owner’s manual will give you a guideline for replacing such things as your spark plugs and even your timing belt or chain. Not only will going by this guide ensure your vehicle runs well and prevent engine damage from occurring, but your vehicle will last longer as well. You don’t have to be a car enthusiast to get the most value out of your car dollar, all you have to do is take care of it and have it professionally tuned up on a consistent basis.